MAHMUDUL HOQUE MONI
Co-founder, Say for Development
Freelance Photographer and Documentary Filmmaker
Senior Assistant Secretary, Government of Bangladesh
Master of Arts (MA) in Governance and Development at the Institute of Development Studies (IDS), University of Sussex; completed in September 2016 on UK Government’s Chevening Scholarship
Norwegian Masters (NOMA) in Journalism, Media and Communication at the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism at the University of Dhaka in 2010; NORAD Scholarship collaborated by Oslo University College, Norway; Lahore University, Pakistan and College of Journalism and Mass Communication, Nepal
Master of Social Science in International Relations from the University of Dhaka in 2005
Bachelor of Social Science (4 year Honours) in International Relations from the University of Dhaka in 2004 (result published in 2007)
- A corner of the British Library for Development Studies (BLDS) at the Institute of Development Studies has been named after me. The corner is called ‘Moni Coner’. Moni is my nick name.
- Solo Photography Exhibition: ‘150 shades of perspective: a photographic exhibition’ at Brighton in the UK in April 2016.
- Co-founder: Say for Development, an online platform to share development thoughts (www.sayfordevelopment.net)
- First Position and Gold Medal: Foundation Training Course (2013) at Bangladesh Public Administration Training Centre (4 Months), 86.7% Marks, 263 Participants.
- First Position and Gold Medal: Law and Administration Training (2012), at Bangladesh Civil Service Administration Academy (5 Months), 82% Marks, 89 Participants.
- Jury Award for best photography: University of Oslo Photo Competition in July 2014
- Second Position: International Students Photography Competition, University of Sussex in 2015
- August 2011 to date : working as Senior Assistant Secretary to the Government of People’s Republic of Bangladesh
- January 2013 to March 2014: Vice Principal (Additional charge) of Sirajganj Collectorate School & College, Sirajganj, Bangladesh
- April 2011 to July 2011: Lecturer of the Department of Media Studies and Journalism at the University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh (ULAB)
- February 2010 to January 2011: Chief Executive of one media research organization, Centre of Practical Multimedia Studies (CPMS)
- January 2006 to June 2008: Director of Media and Mass Communication at an NGO- EKMATTRA Society
- January 2016 to August 2016: ‘Takeaway Heritage’- a project designed to record the stories of migrants living in England jointly run by the Refugee Radio, UK and the Euro-Mediterranean Network for Refugees at Brighton
- January 2011 to July 2011: volunteered in several projects of Oxfam GB
- August 2009 to February 2011: volunteer consultant at the Centre for Media and Communication Studies (CMCS)
Selected Research and Publications
- ‘Tobacco Control Politics in Bangladesh’, Master Thesis (2016; 10,000 words), Supervised by Anuradha Joshi, Institute of Development Studies (IDS), Sussex, UK
- ‘Tobacco-free world: An Organized Hypocrisy?’, a paper presented at the Global Ambitions Conference in April, 2016 at the University of Birmingham.
- ‘Freedom of Expression in Norway and Bangladesh: A Legal Perspective’, co-authored with Idunn Helle at alochonaa.com on September 10, 2014
- ‘Social Safety Net Programs in Bangladesh: Present Situation, Challenges and Prospects’, a key-note presented in a conference at the Deputy Commissioner Hall, Sirjaganj in May 2014 arranged by Care Bangladesh.
- ‘The Development of Documentaries: For the Truth and Art’ published ‘Magic Lanthon’, Department of Mass Communication and Journalism (Ed. Mamun Haider), January 2014, No 6 ISSN 2308-5282
- ‘The co-relations between democracy and development: An unsolved puzzle’ (2012), published at the Bangladesh Civil Service Academy Journal, No 3
- ‘Raktanto Prantor: Muktijuddher Pramanno Dalil’ (2012), Bangladesh Film Archive Journal, Issue 4, ISSN 2074-2134 (Written in Bangla)
- ‘2012: Good Guy Bad Guy and the American President’ (2012), the reunion journal of the Dept. of International Relations at the University of Dhaka
- ‘In Bangladesh, Dies a Vestige of Colonialism’, co-authored with Rainer Ebert PhD, Gay and Lesbian Review (April, 2011), Harvard University, USA.
- ‘Nature and Practices of Sports Journalism in Bangladesh: A Thesis’ (2010), Master Thesis (35 pages), Supervised by Shameem Reza, University of Dhaka
Bangla (Native), English (Professional), Hindi (Fluent), Spanish (Learning)
- Director, When Words Are Not Enough (2016), British Library for Development Studies (BLDS), University of Sussex, UK, 13 Minutes, HDV Format
- Writer and Director, Mrittikar Moto Tumi Aaj (2011), Centre for Practical Multimedia Studies (CPMS), University of Dhaka, 32 Minutes, DV Format
- Writer and Director, Nature and Practice of Sports Journalism (2010), Masters Project, Oslo University College, Norway, 39 Minutes, DV Format
- Producer, Waiting for Godot (2010), British Council, Bangladesh Documentary Council and Scottish Documentary Institute, 4 minutes, DV Format
- Assistant Director, Je Shohor Chorabali (2008), EKMATTRA Society, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 79 Minutes, HDV Format
- Assistant Director, Smalls Arms are Not Small (2007), Centre for Alternatives, University of Dhaka, 23 Minutes, DV Format
Reviewer and Editor
- Reviewer, Say for Development, an online platform to publish academic articles, opinions and photo stories (www.sayfordevelopment.net)
- Editor, ONLINE (2011), Peer Reviewed Journal published by the Centre for Practical Multimedia Studies, not publishing anymore
Major Professional Trainings and Study
- Six week Military Orientation Course provided by Bangladesh Army (February 22, 2015 to April 2, 2015)
- Two weeks Training on Development Administration at Sri Lanka Institute of Development Administration (January 2015)
- Six week International Summer School (ISS) on Media Studies provided by the University of Oslo (June 18, 2014 to August 1, 2014)
- Four months Foundation Training Course provided by Bangladesh Public Administration Training Centre (July 2013 to October 2013)
- Five months Law and Administration Training at the Bangladesh Civil Service Administration Academy (July 2012 to December 2012)
- One year Photography Course at the South Asian Academy for Media and Photography, Dhaka (2009-2010)
- Kristin Skare Orgeret PhD, Professor at the Department of Journalism and Media Studies, Oslo and Akershus University College, Norway; email: Kristin.Orgeret@hioa.no
- Anuradha Joshi PhD, Professorial Fellow and Cluster Leader, Governance Cluster, Institute of Development Studies (IDS), University of Sussex, UK, email: email@example.com
- Mohammad Tanjimuddin Khan PhD, Associate Professor at the Department of International Relations, University of Dhaka, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fahmidul Haq PhD, Professor at the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, University of Dhaka, email: email@example.com
- Rainer Ebert PhD, Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Department of Philosophy at the University of Johannesburg in South Africa, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mubashar Hasan PhD, Assistant Professor of Political Science and Sociology at North South University, Bangladesh, email: email@example.com